1. Draw the Lewis dot structures for the following elements:
a. X, an element from the Group IA family
b. Z, an element from the Group IIA family
c. J, an element from the Group IVA family
d. K, an element from the Group VIA family
2. Determine the chemical formulas for the following:
a. iron(III) sulfide
b. calcium hydride
c. magnesium nitride
d. aluminum fluoride
3. Draw the Lewis dot structures for: (Note: make sure they satisfy the octet rule)
4. a. Which bond is more polar, H-Cl or H-O?
b. Which of the following bonds is the most polar, that is, has the greatest ionic
character: H-Br, N-H, N-O, P-Cl?
5. Predict the types of bonds formed between each of the following pairs of elements:
a. sodium & sulfur
b. nitrogen & bromine
c. calcium & oxygen
d. carbon & oxygen
6. Explain why molecules of a perfume can be detected a few feet away from the person wearing the perfume.
7. Which families are likely to form the following ions?
8. Represent the following structure showing the covalent bonds.